Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Apple Fritter Recipe


So I over did it on my produce shopping...I had about a dozen apples and needed to use some of them up. I decided to make some apple fritters because I remember my mom making those for us when we were kids. The recipe I found is different than what she made but they are still tasty!

I changed the recipe up a little to make it my own and it turned out so well I wanted to put it here on my blog. These are perfect in the morning with tea or as an afternoon nibble. A big plus is that they are easy to make!

APPLE FRITTERS

Dry ingredients
1 1/2 c. self-rising flour*
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)

Wet ingredients
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 c. milk
1 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)
3 c. peeled and chopped apples (about 3 medium apples)

In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients and set aside. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a medium bowl; tossing in the apples at the end. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.

Heat 1-inch of canola or other cooking oil in a cast iron skillet. Bring the temberature up to 350 degrees, check using an oil/candy thermometer. You can also use an electric deep fryer and cook according to manufacturers instructions.

Carefully drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil. Fry on first side about 1-2 minutes before turning and frying about another minute. You want a nice, deep golden brown. Remove to a wire rack with a baking sheet placed under it. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. ENJOY!

Makes 2-3 dozen, depending on size.

*If you don't have self-rising flour use 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'll have to write that one down and try it soon :•)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It really is good...my kids and hubby ate them up like crazy (me too)!

    ReplyDelete

How to make hot chocolate

Powered By Blogger